Saturday 5 March 2016

Connecting the dots

Make a map of your professional connections


From completing this diagram I came to realize how big my professional connections actually are. When it came to sitting and thinking of all the connections I have just in a school setting it emerged that we as professionals have more of an impact on society than we would have thought.

For the final part of my assignment I need to choose two professional connections from my map and evaluate their impact on my practice and professional community.

Students

This goes without saying, if we didn't have students then we wouldn't have a profession to be a part of! They are the most important part of my map, they are the reason I go to work and thoroughly enjoy my career path. From these roots of my tree many branches extend from the community of parents to the community of teachers that educate these students. My whole practice is about these students, gone are the days where we merely teach to the curriculum and treat our classes as one entity. For me each classroom is made up of 25+ individuals who like their fingerprints are very unique and learn in differing ways. Myself as their leader is obligated to ensure that each one of these 'individuals' leaves my classroom a little richer in knowledge but has gained this knowledge in a multitude of ways. I listen to student voice and how they learn and this has a huge impact on my practice. I forge positive relationships so that my students feel comfortable to ask questions to teach me new things. For this my professional community has expanded, I need to continue to be a lifelong learner too. Without expanding my own knowledge on technological advancements and research developments then I am unqualified to teach the 21st century learner in a way that they and their communities expect.

e-Learning

When I took on the role of e-mentor for the Physical Education and Health faculty at our school I thought that my only connections would be the faculty and other e-mentors but how wrong I was. Now that I take a step back and look at this extra level that I have added to my professional connections it is expanding fast and looks to not slowing down. Foremost of this connection is to ensure that the students entering our faculty receive the very best in the way of learning activities but also that our teaching is in alignment with the rest of the school community. With this in mind the inclusion of technology and adequate knowledge of our teachers in this area is necessary to ensure our students are getting the very best. Not only has this connection expanded to other e-mentors within the school but also through my integration into the MindLab community other like minded teachers from the wider Auckland region. The impact of these connections on my practice has meant that I have 'stepped up' in my own teaching activities and passed this knowledge onto my peers within the faculty. Regular meetings with other e-mentors from within the school and from the school wider community has meant a wealth of knowledge has been passed throughout the professional connections that I have made. The connections have not stopped and continue to be made through professional development attendance and visiting other schools to visually see what magic is happening within their own community.

Our professional connection maps are a living document that will continue to extend past where we are today. We as educators continue to branch out as we continue on a lifelong journey of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment